Last night, I watched the movie Fed Up with my family. I can't even begin to tell you how my blood was boiling. I am quite sure if you took my blood pressure that it was skyrocketing. I am still fired up as I write this right now. My kids couldn't believe I was so upset. "You already know all of this" they said. Yes, I know but most of our country doesn't and it is just not right.
We are killing our country and we are preying on our vulnerable children. Plain and simple. I am not an extremist. This is real. America has the highest obesity in the world. And the runners up are obese because they are eating an American diet.
- 90% of the food in our market is not food.
- Kids watch 10 food related ads per day. None of them are for fruits or vegetables!
- The food companies that are hurting us are spending $40+ million per year on lobbying the federal government.
- You can't go in to a gas station, an electronics store or even an art supply store without being bombarded with processed foods at checkout.
- The food industry lobbied Congress to protect sugar from full disclosure on their products' nutrition labels.
- Washington sweetened the profits of the manufacturers of corn-based sweeteners, such as high-fructose corn syrup, by awarding billions of dollars in subsidies and promoting their expanded use.
- A 20-oz bottle of soda has approximately 17 teaspoons of sugar.
- Schools across America have turned into fast food and soda distributors.
- 93 million Americans are affected by obesity.
- Kids are sent report cards home with Ronald McDonald and promised a free Happy Meal with good grades.
- Sugar is added to more than 80% of processed foods.
By 2050, one in three Americans will have diabetes. This is not ok! It is our job as parents to leave a better legacy for our children. They should not be left with the legacy of living lesser life expectancies than their parents.
I can reach thousands of moms through FIT4MOM to help them eat healthier, but we are missing millions of moms who deserve to be educated. Eating real food is not elitist. And it is not unaffordable. That is just another trick of the food industry. We all need to go back to eating real food.
So, here's how we can make a difference.
- Follow food advocates such as:
Start a ripple effect. Learn, Share, Demand a change. You are worth it. Your children deserve it. Our country deserves better.