The original post of this recipe is found here:
1 head green cabbage
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups mushrooms (you can choose cremini, portabella, shiitake – or mix them up), washed with Eat Cleaner Fruit + Vegetable Wash, then minced (you can do this in the food processor)
1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (reserve for garnish) flat leaf Italian parsley, washed Eat Cleaner Fruit + Vegetable Wash
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1 1/2 cups low sodium tomato sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut bottom stem off of cabbage head and peel away any torn outer leaves. Gently separate leaves out and place in a colander. Spray with Eat Cleaner Fruit + Vegetable Wash, let sit for 2 minutes, and rinse.
- Gently boil or steam cabbage leaves until just soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Cook red onion and garlic until just translucent, about 2 minutes. Add minced mushrooms, brown rice or quinoa, parsley and seasonings and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let cool until it’s safe to handle.
- In a separate skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium; sauté garlic until just soft; add the tomato sauce, cumin and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Leave sauce there….
NOW, LET’S ROLL…
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. On a clean flat surface, place a large tablespoon of filling about 1″ up from the bottom of the leaf. Roll from the bottom, tuck the sides in and repeat until all leaves are filled.
3. Place rolls back in the sauce in that skillet and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Serve and top with a sprinkle of minced parsley. Enjoy!
About the Author
Mareya Ibrahim is also known as “The Fit Foodie,” a nationally recognized food safety and clean eating expert, an award-winning entrepreneur, television chef, author and inventor. She is the CEO and founder of Grow Green Industries, INC. and the patented co-creator of the eatCleaner®, eatSafe™ and eatFresh™ line of all natural and organic products that help offer cleaner, safer, longer lasting produce. Her book “The Clean Eating Handbook” was released in May 2013 and is being touted as the ‘go-to’ guide for anyone looking to eat cleaner and get leaner. She is a contributor to “The Daniel Plan: 40 Days to a Healthier Life” by Rick Warren, Dr. Daniel Amen and Dr. Mark Hyman. She is a featured chef on the Emmy-nominated cooking show Recipe Rehab, eHow.com, Livestrong.com and is a frequent guest on San Diego 6 and Fox 5 San Diego News. Her back-page column, “The Fit Foodie”, appears in Edible Orange County Magazine.
Mareya is also active in the community and was the recipient of the 2013 Women Making a Difference Award presented by California Senator Lou Correa for demonstrating extraordinary dedication and contributions to public health and well being. She is also the winner of the World’s Best Technology Gold Prize, and the Disney iParenting Award, and was a finalist for Inc. Magazine’s Newpreneur of the Year Award.