Did you know that 20 billion pounds of produce grown on farms goes to waste each year, often due to small aesthetic imperfections?
That's right -- most grocery stores only stock "perfect" looking produce on the shelves, meaning all the same shape and size, and what we view as "normal"...
MAKE "IMPERFECT" PRODUCE PERFECT FOR YOUR TABLE
Want to help reduce perfectly good food waste, get recipe inspo, AND get an amazing deal on produce delivery?! WE'VE GOT YOU.
Our friends at Imperfect Produce are looking to reduce this massive-scale waste, support our hard-working farmers, and build a more sustainable food system for everyone.
DISCOUNT CODE FOR YOU
As a FIT4MOM member you will save 50% off your first box with the code IPLOVESFIT4MOM applied at checkout. This zero-commitment service can be skipped at any time, so it's flexible and convenient.
TO REDEEM --
- CREATE your personal account at www.imperfectproduce.com/join and select your box preferences for type, size, and delivery frequency. You can customize your delivery time and provide detailed delivery instructions.
- ENTER your special code IPLOVESFIT4MOM at checkout to save 50% on your first box. Then, customize your box when you receive your "customization window" email.
- ENJOY fresh-from-the-farm organic or conventional produce delivered and feel good about positively impacting the food system!
EASY WEEKNIGHT MEAL RECIPES
Whether you're a pescatarian, vegan, vegetarian, meat-eater, or have specific dietary needs, sheet pan fajitas are one of our go-to recipes when trying to please a crowd (or picky 4-year-olds around the family dinner table).
We're sharing our sheet pan shrimp fajita recipe, which is one of our faves from our Back to School Magazine -- if you want more recipes like this, along with healthy lunchbox ideas, a self-care challenge, fast food alternatives, and at-home workouts, download our Back to School, Back to You: Survival Kit here.
SHEET PAN SHRIMP FAJITAS
- 1-2 pounds of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 organic red or yellow onion, sliced
- 3 organic bell peppers, sliced (choose 1 of each color - yellow, green, red, or orange)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional - may want to leave out for kids)
- 1 organic lime
- 8-10 organic flour, organic whole wheat or organic corn tortillas (for GF)
- 2 large avocados, sliced (or smashed)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, diced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees & grab a sheet pan; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, combine all spices (onion powder, garlic powder, dried chives, salt, paprika, chili powder, ground cumin, dried parsley, cayenne pepper) and mix together; this is your homemade fajita seasoning without preservatives found in store-bought packets.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sliced onion, bell peppers, avocado/olive oil and coat evenly. Add shrimp to veggie mixture and toss together. Add more oil if desired. Add spices to shrimp + veggie mixture. Toss until evenly coated.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper (make sure it can handle 450 degrees). If desired, leave off parchment paper, and spray sheet pan with avocado/olive oil until evenly coated to help prevent sticking. Add shrimp + veggies to sheet pan; spread evenly.
- Cook dish at 450 degrees for about 7 minutes.
- Turn shrimp and veggies over, and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through entirely (Cook until flesh is pearly or white, and opaque, approximately 165 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Slice lime, avocado, and cherry tomatoes; leave aside in small serving dishes to give the option of fresh-squeezed lime juice, avocado, and tomatoes atop fajitas.
- Warm tortillas in the oven for about 2 minutes, or until warm and ready to serve.
Not a shrimp fan or have dietary restrictions? Feel free to also make this recipe vegetarian or vegan by adding more veggies like zucchini and peeled carrots, or serving with refried or black beans and leaving the shrimp out. Meat eaters can beef these up (pun intended)...you can also use chicken or steak instead of, or addition to, shrimp --- we recommend pre-cooking chicken, steak, or shrimp to ensure it cooks thoroughly.
MORE IN OUR BACK TO SCHOOL MAGAZINE
You can find all of these things in our Back to School Magazine (download here), and whether your little one(s) started school a few weeks ago, or aren't heading back until after Labor Day, getting back into the swing of packing lunches can be daunting. Which is why we're sharing a few of our favorite things...
FIND EVEN MORE RECIPES FROM OUR FRIENDS AT PURPLE ASPARAGUS
Did you see we're hosting an epic back-to-school GIVEAWAY?! With a value of over $850, enter for your chance to WIN BIG!
Prizes from KIND Snacks, SUJA, KidsLuv, BOB, Athleta, Imperfect Produce, Health Warrior, Sun Bum & Baby Bum...