It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years since I wrote this article for entrepreneur.com on starting your own Mommy Owned Business. A decade later, I double down on everything that I said in that article.
1) I said that there has never been a better time for a mom to start a business. I believe that even more now. There are so many amazing opportunities for moms to start their own business. You can work from home. You can join an MLM business. You can start a home based franchise. And you can certainly develop an online business.
2) I still agree (with myself, ha!) that moms need to know their why. If your why is to stay at home with your kids, then it may not be in line to make a million dollars. I would add now that moms need to better define what success looks like. What's your number? How much would you need to make to consider your business a success? How much are you willing to risk? Do you have a plan that allows you to work? Speaking from experience, it's pretty hard to launch a brand new business with a toddler on your lap! What do you want your work life balance to look like?
3) My next suggestion had to do with being your own boss. It's often a lonely road. When you buy a franchise or join a multi level marketing business, you have the benefits of guidance, support and a village. Our franchisees are like family. They support one another in business, life balance and more. I love being my own boss. But I am grateful to have the support of an amazing team around me.
So, what would I add to my article ten years later? I think I would add a focus on finding your sweet spot.
- Figure out what you love to do.
- Figure out what you can make money at.
- Figure out where you can bring value to others.
The sweet spot is where those three things come together. Yes, think about what you need. Yes, think about what you love to do. And definitely see how you can solve a problem or bring value to others.
In the words of Zig Ziglar...
"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want."
P.S. - If you do have a passion for fitness and motherhood, then I invite you to check in to FIT4MOM. We may just be the business for you! www.fit4momfranchise.com.