Recipe makes 8 servings.
1 lb. bag brown rice noodles (if brown rice isn’t available, go for whole grain)
1 tsp. olive or canola oil
1 cup cooked butternut squash (if squash is unavailable, use cooked yams instead)
2 cloves garlic
4 oz. Chevre goat cheese (dairy-free omit)
1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (dairy-free, use soy yogurt)
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sea salt
2 cups shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese (dairy-free, use Daiya or another brand)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and coat a rectangular (about 10×10) baking dish with a dab of olive oil and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, not mushy. Drain and toss cooked pasta with a tsp. of oil (olive or canola) to prevent the noodles from sticking together. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, pulse cooked squash along with garlic, goat cheese & yogurt. Add cayenne pepper, nutmeg, black pepper, and sea salt and give one last pulse. Mixture should be creamy & smooth. Add a little water, if necessary, to get the right consistency.
4. In the same baking dish you’re cooking in, toss the noodles with the squash sauce until thoroughly mixed. Season with additional spices (cayenne pepper, nutmeg, black pepper, and sea salt) to taste. Add the shredded cheese and toss.
5. Bake until top is golden brown, about 12-15 minutes!
Serve with a mixed green salad, if desired. Enjoy!
For more delicious recipes, join The Cleaner Plate Club by texting ‘EATCLEANER’ to 22828 or visiting www.eatcleaner.com