During pregnancy is the perfect time for moms to begin to educate themselves on what's best for themselves and for their baby, like focusing on a healthy, balanced diet filled with whole, unprocessed foods.
Vitamins + Minerals
Throughout all trimesters of a woman's pregnancy, it's more important than ever for her to give her body - AND her developing fetus' - the vitamins + minerals they both need to grow, develop, and thrive. Prenatal mamas need to fill up their tank a little more often with quality nutrients; it's a good idea to eat five or six small meals throughout the day to keep energy levels consistent. Larger meals can trigger fatigue, energy crashing, and heartburn. It also helps to remember that although Mom-to-be is eating for more than just herself, she's not really "eating for two," (when it comes to portions) so it's best to keep meals small, healthy and proportionate. It's important to eat a balanced diet to stay energized; Mama's little peanut needs proper nutrition to grow their organs, bones and brain tissue.
The best choices when it comes to healthy foods are natural, unprocessed foods – whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, and high-quality proteins. That being said, there are some foods that are especially packed with a nutritional punch – aka, “superfoods.” Superfoods have the vitamins + minerals Mom and her baby needs to thrive during pregnancy.
Graphic via superfoodsliving.com
We are also huge fans of adding avocado as a staple into your prenatal [and everyday] diet.
- Avocados contain more potassium than bananas.
- Avocados are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Avocados are loaded with fiber.
- Eating avocados may help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- The healthy fat found in avocados may help you absorb nutrients from plant foods.
- Avocados are loaded with powerful antioxidants that can protect your eyes.
- Avocados may help prevent cancer.
- Avocado extract may help relieve symptoms of arthritis.
- Eating avocado may help you lose weight.
- Avocados are delicious and easy to incorporate into your diet!
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists have a great breakdown of nutrition during pregnancy here including answers to questions like the following:
- What is folic acid, and how much do I need daily?
- Why is iron important during pregnancy, and how much do I need daily?
- How much weight should I gain during my pregnancy?
- What is listeria, and how can it affect my pregnancy?
Nutrition & Prenatal Fitness
Incorporating eating whole, healthy foods + movement into your pregnancy can help you have a thriving prenatal experience. What exercise is safe during pregnancy? Join FIT4BABY, our prenatal fitness program, and focus on what goes into your body while also learning how to stay safely active with trained prenatal fitness experts.