P R E G N A N C Y
is the perfect time to begin to educate yourself on what's best for
N U T R I T I O N and P R E N A T A L F I T N E S S
play a big part in wellness through pregnancy, so what can you do in two simple steps to add to a healthy, happy pregnancy? Join a prenatal fitness program and focus on what goes into your body.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists have a great breakdown of nutrition during pregnancy here including answers to questions like the following:
During pregnancy, it’s more important than ever to give your body AND your sweet little baby the vitamins + minerals they need to grow, develop, and thrive. You need to fill up your tank a little more often with quality nutrients. It's important to eat a balanced diet to stay energized, and your little peanut needs proper nutrition to grow their organs, bones and brain tissue.
As a prenatal mama, it's a good idea to eat five or six small meals throughout the day to keep energy levels consistent. Larger meals can trigger fatigue and energy crashing. It also helps to remember that although you’re eating for more than just yourself, you’re not really eating for two, so it's best to keep meals small, healthy and proportionate.
The best choices are natural, unprocessed foods – whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, and high-quality proteins. That being said, there are some foods that are especially packed with a nutritional punch – aka, “superfoods.” Superfoods have the vitamins + minerals you and your baby need to thrive during pregnancy.
For example, folic acid can help protect your baby from birth defects, and help build red blood cells to bring oxygen to your baby during pregnancy.
Check out a handful of superfoods below via superfoodsliving.com:
PS - we're also huge fans of adding avocado as a staple into your prenatal [and everyday] diet.
- Avocados contain more potassium than bananas.
- Avocados are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Avocados are loaded with fiber.
- Eating avocados may help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- The healthy fat found in avocados may help you absorb nutrients from plant foods.
- Avocados are loaded with powerful antioxidants that can protect your eyes.
- Avocados may help prevent cancer.
- Avocado extract may help relieve symptoms of arthritis.
- Eating avocado may help you lose weight.
- Avocados are delicious and easy to incorporate into your diet!